Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Chocolat and verde

"My sentiments exactly. I felt lost. Unexplainable.
I didn't want to know. Didn't want to believe it. I had to face reality at some point. Wake up and shake the grogginess out of my eyes. I wanted some coffee but the doctor recommended that I lay it off until I could think clearly again. Whenever that's supposed to happen." He moved about the creaking chair, leaned forward and asked me, "Do you think I wanted this? I mean, tell me the truth, do you honestly believe I meant to hurt you?" I stared back at him, both of us fully aware at what he was asking. I licked my lips. The air was hot outside and I could feel the fabric of my clothes sticking to my body. How could he ask me this? He knew the answer. "Sam?" I sighed. What did he want to hear? My eyes slowly reached his. With a half smile, I whispered, "Truth? Since when did that mean anything to you?...". I sat up and brushed my faded jeans. I had to go or else I'd suffocate. "Sam, all I asked was a simple question." "Things aren't so simple now, Jared, are they? You were almost killed in an accident while you were with some other woman and then you're asking me if I think you can move on past this. I mean, seriously?". I brushed past him. I was tired of trying to understand why it all happened like this in the first place. No one was seriously injured in the crash. No one but me. And I wasn't even there. Come to think of it, my heart died that day. "Goodbye, Jared." Little did he know I meant it. For good.

No comments: