Friday, June 27, 2014

I get to hold a scalpel

I get to hold a scalpel. This time around, there will be many more opportunities to make the first cut, to ligate, to control bleeding, to suture. I will no longer be mainly an observer but an active learner as well, with the opportunity to have hands-on experience.

God is so faithful! In less than a week, I will start my first year of intern year in general surgery at Ochsner Clinic Foundation. Craziness. I get to legally cut people (ha!). In all truth, the enormity of the opportunity is mind-blowing! I am grateful and look forward...to it?

I've been praying and I've told God that I don't want residency to be just hard---I want to see Him more clearly in all that I do, that this experience is enriching and that despite the challenges,that I learn from Him and that HE is my joy throughout all 5 years and beyond. God, I want residency to be phenomenal; I pray that I don't fall in the trap of complaining, grumbling, or resisting work. And during the most challenging days, remind me of your purpose for my life, provide grace and refreshing strength, empower me to a force to be reckoned with (because of You) but a gentle and humble servant of Yours. You have entrusted me to take care of others ailments and have given me the elite gift to open people's temples and do what must be done. Provide support, mentors and a good church where I'll be able to serve...at some point. I love you and thank you!

So, here's to being all God's called me to be! Cheers!

ps. I get to hold a scalpel and be in the OR again. :-)
pps. My co-interns are pretty darn awesome.

No comments: