Sunday, February 26, 2012

Last night, oh last night...

How do I manage to get myself in sticky situations? I'm not 100% sure. But I do. These past three weeks it's sort of become a ritual to have dinner with the same group of friends every Friday. How did it start? Well here's the story: 

My friend Wen (keeping it anonymous) and I haven't seen each other since last year, prior to the end of my surgery clerkship. So it made sense to meet up with her and everyone else. What I didn't learn until later is that Wen was also planning on setting me up with her boyfriend's friend. Now mind you, this year I also decided to commit my "love" life to God...keep that in mind. Anyways, I met up with Wen, her boyfriend and a couple we both knew with random guy #1. Let's call him Teq. Teq was really nice but we didn't really click. He was also eastern european...I'm not 100% sure those guys are into my kind of women. But I didn't realize this until the next day that Teq wasn't the guy I was "supposed" to meet. Fast-forward to the week after that. Wen had dinner at her house this time. Same group with a few extra people. We laughed, ate dinner and had a lot of fun. Mr.-no-show was again a no-show. I told Wen that no more...because what she didn't know is that I spend the whole week prepping myself for the "match-up". And let me mention, it's also because I have a dating anxiety or "phobia" is my friend calls it. Interesting. I know. Now moving on with the story. This past Friday, I got off of work, with no plans for the night, when Wen's boyfriend invites me to join Wen, him, and a group of other people for dinner. I had my reservations about going (it's Friday, I need to study, or sleep) but I went anyway because I'm young, it's Friday and it's guaranteed good times with friends. So I went out, we had a happy hour at this Mexican restaurant--funny thing too because I was craving a margarita. Well after 2.5 drinks, and freezing outside, we went inside the restaurant and guessed who showed up about 20 minutes later? Mr.No-show! There he was in flesh and blood! I was not having it though, lol, so I kept my cool, said hello and continued the conversation with Wen. But, Mr.-no-show was smart and started up the conversation with me by commenting on my anime wallpaper on my phone and then that's how it all started. We spoke for the rest of the night about every topic ranging from family, work, to Haiti, guys, girls, ect. It was refreshing to meet someone who's first question was not "So you're from Haiti....how's that like?" He had genuinely seemed interested. At least it seemed like it.

We ended up having brunch the next morning...and that was nice too. He gave me a hug and his number before I left for home. The downside of this was that my wonderful period came that morning. So I'm sure I looked pretty uncomfortable during brunch.

So now, where will this go? I'm not 100% sure. But I hope it goes somewhere where God is glorified. I met him in circumstances where my guard was down...that's the only way I was comfortable enough to give him a chance...

No comments: